Date Posted: April 3, 2014
Getting your home ready to sell or living in your home while it is on the market?
If you want to make your home look like it is worth every penny, putting your home’s best foot forward is a must. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Depersonalize – Let potential buys picture themselves living in your home by removing all family photos. Let your home be a warm, but blank canvas by repainting brightly coloured walls a more neutral shade and simplifying quirky decorating.
- De-clutter – Get rid off personal items, nick-nacks, mail piles, etc. Store toys, work supplies, TV remotes, pet beds, etc. out of sight.
- Check for deficiencies – You don’t want torn screen, cracked plaster, or burnt out lights to tarnish potential buyer’s impression of your home. Take some time to check that your home is in tip-top shape.
- Think of scale – Your living room may have a huge, comfortable sofa that you adore, but if it makes the room look small then it has to go. Move extra furnishings into storage so that each room has a good balance of furniture whiteout being too cluttered, or too empty. Aim for small groupings of furniture that match the scale of your room and have lots of room to move around them.
- Clear the kitchen – Clear all the clutter off of your kitchen counters and clean, clean, clean. Store all small appliances out of sight, out of mind. Keep a single bowl of fruit or vase holding utensils and that is about it. Make sure stove tops, counters, and all other surfaces are clean.
- Simple Updates – If you are a little handy, make some simple updates to improve the look of your home. A handy person can add a gorgeous backslash in the kitchen with low budget. Repaint or refinish worn cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms. Add some splash by replacing boring bathroom mirrors with a nice, simple framed one.
- Clean – Hire a professional cleaner to come in and do a deep clean of your home. If you will be living in your home while it is on the market, make sure to do a surface clean before all showings. Spritz your home sparingly with a nice scent or open windows for fresh mountain air.
- Fresh linens – Make sure all visible linens (tea towels, chair cushions, oven mitts, bedding, etc.) look brand new and hung or folded nicely.
- Bedrooms – Tidy all bedrooms. Make sure beds are made, side tables are de-cluttered, toys are put away. Add some new pillows, crisp white linens, and/or a throw at the end of the bed.
- Curb Appeal – The outside of your home should look as great as the inside. In winter, make sure you have shoveled and cleared ice. In the summer, trim bushed, care for your landscaping, add an urn of seasonal flowers, clean windows, and fix up the exterior paint.
- Stand back and let it shine – If you are living in your home while it is on the market, take your kids and/or pets to the park, or step out for a coffee with friends during showings.
Take some inspiration from the seller of my listing at #3 Landings. Ashlie really knows how to go the extra mile and made some fresh baked cookies for a showing this afternoon!
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Find this interesting? Here are some other posts that may be of interest:
>> Real Estate + Professional Photography = Love
>> The Benefits of Using a Buyer’s Agent